- International Studies Association ISSS-ISAC Annual Conference, “Foreign Military Training as an Exit Plan,” 13-14 October 2017, Washington, DC.
- CDA Institute (Canadian Conference of Defense Associations) 20th Annual Graduate Student Symposium, “USG Use of Civilian Contractors to Deliver Foreign Military Training,” 12-13 October 2017, Kingston, Canada. [travel grant awarded]
- Royal Military Academy Sandhurst “War Amongst the People: A Critical Assessment Symposium” paper presentation on "USG Use of Civilian Contractors to Deliver Foreign Military Training," 30 June 2017.
- International Studies Association (ISA) 56th Annual Convention: Global IR and Regional Worlds: A New Agenda for International Studies. “Nonkinetic Solutions: Using UAVs to Combat Animal Poaching” on the “Intelligence and Technology” panel. New Orleans, LA, 18-21 February 2015.
- Southern Political Science Association 2014 Annual Meeting, "Fifty-Four Durand Lines: The Importance of Persistent Security Assistance in Africa," on the panel entitled, "Issues in African Politics and Beyond," 9-11 January, New Orleans, LA.
- American Political Science Association 2013 Annual Meeting poster session, “Shohna ba Shohna: U.S. Interests in Transition from Coalition to Afghan National Security Forces.” 29 August -1 September 2013, Chicago, IL.
- Boston University 21st Annual Graduate Student Conference in African Studies paper presentation “Fifty-four Durand Lines: The Necessity of Persistent Security Assistance in Africa.” 29-30 March 2013, Boston, MA.
- University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public and International Affairs Alum Career Panelist: Government Contracting. 12 March 2013.
Professional Military Education (PME)
Teaching or work undertaken at the following Professional Military Education institutions:
U.S. ARMY WAR COLLEGE WAR ROOM PUBLICATION 2017-Present
Associate Editor, Built on the principle that open competition improves the quality of ideas, WAR ROOM features innovative and provocative articles and podcasts that explore significant challenges in national security and defense. WAR ROOM is the online journal of the United States Army War College, created through the gracious support of the U.S. Army War College Foundation. Although it is a publication of the USAWC, WAR ROOM is not just for the Army community and seeks a broad audience of well-informed readers/listeners interested in national security and defense. ▪ Serve as editorial subject matter expert reviewer on peace and stability operations, military contracting, and building partner capacity/foreign internal defense
FOREIGN POLICY INITIATIVE’S FUTURE LEADERS PROGRAM 2016-2017
The purpose of the Future Leaders Program is to cultivate the next generation of foreign policy leaders in Washington, D.C. The program identifies young professionals who share FPI’s commitment to international engagement, support for America’s allies, expanding political and economic freedom, and a strong military. FPI connects these young leaders with foreign policy experts and former senior government officials, while offering networking, education, and training opportunities with FPI experts and program alumni, as well as media personalities.
U.S. ARMY WAR COLLEGE NATIONAL SECURITY SEMINAR (NSS) 2015
The NSS is a one-week event that creates an environment for Army War College students and distinguished civilian guests to examine current national security issues and exchange candid dialogue.
▪ Received “Certificate of Leader Development in National Security and Strategy”
▪ Army War College resident class of 2015 includes 387 students who represent a cross-section of the joint military, federal agency and multinational security environment: 217 Army officers, 12 Navy, 32 Air Force, 17 Marine Corps officers and one Coast Guard officer of the Active, Reserve/ National Guard forces. The class includes 79 international officers from 73 countries, and 29 senior civilians of federal agencies, plus a cadre of 155 civilians.
▪ National Security Seminar serves as the capstone event of the Army War College's 10-month curriculum, just prior to the Class of 2015’s graduation for the Master's degree in Strategic Studies.
DoD FED FORUM: PAKISTAN-AFGHANISTAN COORDINATION CELL 2012-2013
▪ Attend weekly meetings at the Pentagon at the invitation of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) to liaise with representatives working on AfPak security issues to learn about diverse issues pertaining to AfPak relations, operations, and current events. Network with organizations working in similar industry space to realize potential synergies.
ICoC: INTERNATIONAL CODE OF CONDUCT FOR PRIVATE SECURITY SERVICE PROVIDERS 2011-2013
Contributor to Working Group 3: Independent Governance & Oversight Mechanism Structure, Governance, and Funding
▪ Work with over 150 international industry, government, and civil society stakeholders/representatives to develop an international code of conduct promoting accountability and ethical operations among entities providing private security services
▪ Working Group 3 strives to assist the Temporary Steering Committee in meeting the requirements laid forth in the Code of Conduct relevant to constructing an independent framework to ensure proper implementation and execution of commitments tied to the ICoC.
YOUNG PROFESSIONALS IN FOREIGN POLICY 2013
Research Fellow, The YPFP Fellowship Program is an intensive research training experience designed for young professionals who are preparing for careers in foreign policy and international affairs.
▪ Civil-military relations and defense research focus with special attention to U.S. Government contracting practices pertaining to Foreign Internal Defense (FID) and military training programs
▪ Awarded Fellowship for base period of six months with potential for option periods thereafter
▪ Delivered paper on persistent security engagement with African states at Boston University's Africa grad studies program
▪ Paper published with PRIAD Journal (peer reviewed)
▪ Paper published with Stability: International Journal of Security & Development (peer reviewed)
▪ Invited to present paper at Institute for Humane Studies conference (declined)
▪ Invited to present poster at 2013 APSA Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL (accepted)
EURASIA FOUNDATION 2012-2013
Young Professionals Network, designed to cultivate the next generation of professionals working on the Eurasia region by connecting young professionals with influential foreign policy experts and practitioners
▪ Selected to participate in highly competitive one year professional development program.