Joint AMISOM/SNA CIMIC Training
12-16 May 2019
Aim. Provide participants with the knowledge, understanding, skills and tools required to conduct CIMIC operations in support of stabilization activity as part of AMISOM and the SNA.
Training objectives. By the end of the course, participants will have achieved the following training objectives:
Click on the links below to download the presentations given during the conference:
Protection of Civilians (PoC) Resources
incorporates a modified framework and task set to be compatible with the “Understand-ShapeProtect” approach in recent U.S. military doctrine on PoC. The revision adds annexes on UN and NATO approaches to PoC and provides suggestions for adapting the guide to these contexts. Other
new annexes provide suggestions for conducting training on PoC to include an extensive annex with training scenarios.
The PoC Military Reference Guide is primarily intended for military commanders and staffs who must consider PoC during armed conflict, multidimensional peace operations, or other military operations, particularly when PoC is an operational or strategic objective. It is designed as a supplement to existing doctrine and other relevant guidance so that military forces can meet their obligations to protect civilians. The reference guide may also be used as a textbook for PoC training.
Free Training Resources
Peace Ops Training Institute (POTI)
The Peace Operations Training Institute is dedicated to providing globally accessible and affordable distance learning courses on peace support, humanitarian relief,
and security operations to men and women working to promote peace worldwide.
The Peace Operations Training Institute is a 501(c)(3) public charity based in the United States of America. POTI is an independent not-for-profit organization.
Students may demonstrate their expertise in Military Studies, Police Studies, Civilian Service, Gender Awareness, Logistical Support, and/or Human Rights by earning a
Peace Operations Specialized Training (POST) Certificate.
Members of the military, police, or gendarmerie who are citizens of African nations may take POTI courses for FREE.
- Introduction to the UN System: Orientation for Serving on a UN Field Mission This course introduces the purpose and principles of the United Nations, its institutional framework, and its active leadership role in the global pursuit for peace, security, and development. The legal foundations of the Organization are discussed, as well as applications of international humanitarian law, human rights, and the protection of civilians. Practical field techniques for communication, negotiation, and mediation as well as the general obligations and responsibilities of UN field personnel are also presented. Subject matter and objectives for this course are based on UN policy, doctrine, and related resources.
- Principles and Guidelines for UN Peacekeeping Operations This course has been developed in consultation with the Peacekeeping Best Practices Section of the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations’ Policy, Evaluation and Training Division. It is based on the internal DPKO/DFS publication entitled United Nations Peacekeeping Operations: Principles and Guidelines, which is more widely known under its informal name Capstone Doctrine. This publication is a comprehensive document that defines and promulgates available peacekeeping doctrine, definitions, procedures, and policy.
- Core Pre-deployment Training Materials The Core Pre-deployment Training Materials (CPTMs) were designed by the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) to provide the common and essential training required for all personnel – military, police, and civilian – who serve on UN peacekeeping missions. DISCLAIMER: This course does not include the 2017 United Nations CPTM update.
- Protection of Civilians With violence increasing around the globe, the protection of civilians has become a cornerstone of United Nations peacekeeping mandates. The 2016 edition of Protection of Civilians explores the history of POC, its application in current events, and practical options for consideration for those undertaking this task. The course begins by exploring the POC concept and its legal basis in UN peacekeeping operations. Later lessons explore traditional and new threats to civilians, including extremist groups like ISIL/ISIS, sexual violence in armed conflict, and the protection of children.
- Implementation of the UN Security Council Resolutions on the Women, Peace, and Security Agenda in Africa In October 2000, the UN Security Council unanimously adopted resolution 1325 on women, peace, and security - a turning point in understanding and recognizing the role of women and girls in addressing the issues of peace and security. Resolution 1325 makes the promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment an international peace and security concern relevant to negotiating peace agreements, planning refugee and Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps and peacekeeping operations, and reconstructing war-ravaged societies.
- Civil-Military Coordination in Peace Operations Civil-military coordination is the dialogue and interface among the military, civilian, and police components of a peace operation regarding political, security, humanitarian, developmental, and other areas to attain larger, more strategic political goals. This course overviews the theory and practice of civil-military coordination within the full spectrum of peace operations.
- Humanitarian Relief Operations Each disaster or emergency is different, and so is each humanitarian relief operation. Understanding the dynamics of a disaster and all the actors involved is essential to provide adequate assistance to the affected population and government.
- Introduction au système des Nations Unies : guide pour servir sur une mission de terrain des Nations Unies
- Principes et orientations des opérations de maintien de la paix des Nations Unies
- Protection des civils
- La coordination civilo-militaire dans les opérations de paix
- La conduite des operations humanitaires contemporaines: principes d'intervention et de gestion
- مقدمة لمنظومة الأمم المتحدة: التوجيه والإرشاد للخدمة في بعثة ميدانية للأمم المتحدة (Intro to UN System)
- قيادة عمليات الأمم المتحدة لحفظ السلام (Commanding UN Operations)
- نزع السلاح والتسريح وإعادة الإدماج : مبادئ التدخل والإدارة في عمليات حفظ السلام (DDR)